View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
I have to disagree.

The fact that eBooks are fundamentally different from pBooks is so blindingly obvious that only a complete and total moron would think of them as the same.

I think that we can assume that publishers are not morons.

Therefore, they must want eBooks to fail.

eBooks cost almost nothing to produce. They can sell them at a far lower cost and still make the same profit. I would argue that they would make a higher profit because they don't have to handle returns and they will never over "print" an eBook.
I see your point rlauzon, but you're assuming that the pubs are taking the time and attention to consider the matter and notice that point themselves. I submit that the folks making the decisions are so high up in the rarified atmosphere found in the upper levels of management that they can't see down far enough to get even the most fundamental details necessary to make that distinction.

They don't really have to be morons to miss it, they just have to be far enough removed from the details.

I'm not saying that this is always what happens, but I'm pretty confident that it does happen at least some, if not a lot of the time.

If you've ever worked for a corporation of any size, you already know from your own experiences what sort of bone-headed stuff comes down from 'on high' -- if not, read some early Dilbert strips, the ones Adams wrote from real-life experiences when he was working at PacBell. They'll give you an idea real quick.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote