View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
We aren't Twitter, etc. We don't like clicking on obfuscated links in the hope that what's on the other end is what we hope it is, instead of a Rickroll (or a virus). It's not a matter of not knowing what they are; it's a matter of not knowing where they go, and questioning why, in a forum that allows thousands upon thousands of characters, not 140, someone would find it necessary to hide a link in order to supposedly save a few characters. Also, while we know we're not unique, we do like to pretend that we are, and get a post meant for MobileRead, not just recycled tweets. "The protocol", as you put it, is the same as it is for any forum: give us the link, not an obfuscated link to what might (or might not) be the link.

As for Amazon, their format is just one of the possible options. You've chosen to sell only to the Kindle owners. If you check the device forums, you'll see that people use all kinds of different ebook readers. Fewer than half of them are Kindles. So, by choosing to sell books only to Kindle users (and, I would bet, choosing to apply DRM restrictions to your books) you're leaving money on the table. For example, you're leaving mine; I'm a Sony user (and I don't buy books with DRM). If a book looks somewhat interesting, but the author has chosen to slam the door in my face and say "not yours; go buy a Kindle if you want to read my book" I tend to take offense.

There's nothing strange about MobileRead. Just give us the real URLs and let us buy your book. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but that seems rather ordinary to me.
Thank you for your reply.

The only reason it is on a Kindle is because I have only recently uploaded it and I have no clue as to how to offer it anywhere else.
I have never even seen an e-reader of any sort as I come from darkest Africa and only a few people have bought them as they are still too expensive over here for the average person.
No doubt that situation will change.
If you can tell me how I can offer it on other e-readers that is also free to upload (exchange rates makes things expensive) and that offers plain vanilla instructions to a technophobe, I will be happy to oblige.

I have shortened all the links to my books and website merely to make them neater and easier to manage. This I was advised to do by more technically minded-authors. I never even considered that anyome would think I was trying to 'hide' something. I did say it was a Goodreads link. Just thought someone might want to win a paperback version. Sorry for causing offence.
Here is the full URL.
http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...d-on-the-plane
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote