View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #19
GeekDrop
GeekDrop began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro, Note 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And if you think an automated update system that works *robustly* across three OSes can be coded up in a couple of hours, you obviously have never actually deployed any consumer grade software at scale.
An automated update system could be as easy as automatically downloading the normal installer that one downloads from the webpage, and when the download is complete, closing Calibre and launching the installer with a c-line flag to install silently using the current installation path (which the current installer already is aware of). Thousands (or more) of programs do this.That's a hard thing to do across 3 OS's? Download a file and launch it?

You're paying out of pocket currently, for your fosshub and github file hosting?

btw, when I said "It would take probably a couple hours at least to bake up a system to check Git for changes, if found download and compile, and update the system. All remotely and automatically." I was talking about me specifically having to write up my own personal system, to keep Calibre updated on my own machine ...

Last edited by GeekDrop; 01-15-2019 at 10:41 PM.
GeekDrop is offline   Reply With Quote