View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi Toxaris,

Yes, I have never actually seen an example of epub:switch working. Technically, my plugin should look for all instances of epub:switch and add "switch" to the manifest properties for that file since "switch" is one of those things that must be noted in the opf3.

I think some readers are using some javascript to actually implement the epub:switch functionality by effectively only presenting one case. Those readers that do not support any background scripting will have to wait for their display engine to learn how to handle "switch" which in turns make it useless for doing what it was designed for: fallback!

Another part of the problem is that epub3 has become so very very bloated and is constantly changing. The epub3 specs seem to be driven by textbook publishers and much of what they add is truly not needed for normal ebooks. And I personally think pdf would be a better choice for textbooks anyway.

For example: I tried to more fully add support for the epub:type vocabulary and it was changed yet again about a month or so ago (September). The recognized vocabulary is now huge and the documentation of where each word is allowed to be used has been written by someone who must have been a bad lawyer in an earlier life!

The epub3 creators seem to have forgotten the very meaning of KISS in engineering their spec.

BTW: If you have a simple example of using epub:switch that you think should work, I would love to have it for testing and improving Sigil down the road with it. I looked at some of the official epub3 samples and many of them at not consistent with their own specs!

Take care,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote