View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
For me? Yes. For lots of others? Yes.

I remember one of the biggest complaints about the first three Kindles was the keyboard. It was "ugly."
I felt the same way about it except my first eink reader was the Sony PRS600. I now have the T1 and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
As for actually using the physical keyboard ... all the time. Love it. I do a lot of proofing of the ebooks I create/fix, so it's very handy for me. I make notes of corrections that need to be made. No need to "call up" a virtual keyboard that covers an even larger chunk of the screen (keyboard + the text-box); just move the cursor and start typing.
I also proof on my Sony Readers and find the on-screen keyboard works well for it. The original nook has a separate touchscreen/virtual keyboard, but I don't like having to manipulate a cursor on-screen to annotate/lookup words. It's much easier to directly highlight the word and annotate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Having used a few Sony touch models now, I'm sold on the touch interface. I do like having page turn buttons but I think I could live without them. I very much enjoy double-tapping a word to bring up the dictionary entry for it. If I had to write a bunch of annotations, like a student might, I'd prefer a real keyboard. But in my e-readers I value smaller size and lighter weight for the same screen size.
This is exactly how I feel about my Sony's. I exclusively use the page turn buttons, but I guess I'd adapt if I had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
And if B&N didn't have such terrible policies about sequestering memory and how it treats side-loaded books as "documents" and only B&N purchases as "books", the Nook STR with glowlight might be more attractive.
Amen. I don't like the way my wife's nook segregates books. I understand why they do it, but my Sony accomplishes the same thing. I remove the DRM and sideload all my books anyway. Personally I think the Nook SimpleTouch is unattractive as well.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote