View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
I currently use html though I also find it's not rigorous enough.
I hate that things like chapter headers are marked up merely by convention instead of properly and would really like to find a good format that does allow proper markup without being excessively complicated or rigid.
So far, for accuracy, TEI-Lite (a subset of TEI) seems to be the best bet. Stable, been around for awhile, regularly used in humanities. Does suffer from being a little complicated. TEI does have the advantage of allowing snippets of TeX for formulas. ePUB Books started using a "Super-Lite TEI" for his master format and then (learned and) used XSLT to handle the transform to ePub. Project Gutenberg was playing around with it for a little while, but the last revision to PGTEI was back in 2005 and otherwise there's no new news. On the main Project Gutenberg website, the File Formats FAQ has the following note under XML:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Gutenberg
Some PG volunteers have looked at, and are looking at, ways to convert the entire archive using a satisfactory DTD; however, meantime we aren't actually producing much XML, since most volunteers aren't working with it, and nobody wants to start producing many XML texts until we have agreed standards.
Only real major difference (aside from terms and keywords) is TEI prefers ODD (one-document-does-it-all) approach whereas ePub has more similarities to DITA in generally preferring to break books into chapters to make things easier to handle and manage.
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote