View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
StuartJ
StuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas, Kobo Aura One, LG V20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC-Caron View Post

At this per-reciving-the-device point in the process I have a few questions that I hope the members of MobileRead will be able to provide input into.

1) Given the known grammar issues with Likebook's default epub reader (eg: inconsistent spacing between sentences) I most likely will need to use a third-party app for epubs, at least in the short term. I spent several hours trying to look this up on-line, but I have yet to find a decent comparison between the various third-party e-reader apps. Am I better off using KO Reader, Cool Reader, Moon+ Reader, etc.?

2) I have come across conflicting information regarding the maximum size supported by the microSD card slot. Some sources say 128GB, others say 64GB. But the SD card standard used by both those sizes (SDXC) can support up-to 2TB... so what is the factor preventing the Mimas from supporting microSD cards larger than 64/128GB? And two related questions: will the Mimas automatically format a blank microSD card inserted into it? and does the Mimas use exFAT or FAT 32 formatting?
I have a Likebook Mimas and am pretty happy with it, though it has to be said I'm hardly using any of the stock apps! I look forward to reading your blog when you start it, but I can help with these two questions in the meantime:

1) I didn't do a comprehensive comparison, but I did try a few reader apps and settled on Moon+ Reader as best for my purposes. The Mimas has a large enough screen that I wanted a reader that could render two pages of an .epub in landscape view, and the only ones that I found that could do this seemed to be Alreader and Moon+ Reader. I already use Moon+ Reader on my phone, so I went with the more familiar UI, and it's working pretty well so far. I use Librera for reading PDFs.

2) I'm using a 256Gb microSD card without (too many) problems. That said, I initially formatted in on my Mac (FAT 32), and though it then appeared to work fine in the Mimas, when I took it out again to use for transferring files, the Mimas then claimed it was corrupted! (Still worked fine on the Mac). I reformatted on the Mimas (pretty sure it is FAT 32) and retransferred my files, and since then it's worked without problems. I'm certainly more cautious though now about taking the microSD card out for data transfers, and to keep a backup of any important data!

hope this helps

Stuart
StuartJ is offline   Reply With Quote