View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast
SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Boyue Likebook (T103D) Mimas
"Live-blog" of the set-up process for my new Likebook Mimas

I recently decided to upgrade my e-reader, and ordered the Likebook Mimas from the Good-E-Reader website. The larger screen size, note taking feature, microSD slot, and the colour temperature glow-light, as well as the lower price when compared to the BOOX equivalents were the main selling points.

Since I got confirmation the other day that my order was in the mail, I have been doing some more detailed research into setting-up and configuring Mimas once I receive it (eg: downloading some good e-ink friendly fonts, reading-up on Android Marshmallow, etc.). Since Likebook device information is relativity scarce on-line in English (let alone info on the Mimas specifically), I will be sort-of "live-blogging" my initial set-up and configuration of my Mimas in order to to provide some useful information in a centralized place for future Mimas (and Likebook devices) users. I will also be posting on Reddit in r/eReader.

At this per-reciving-the-device point in the process I have a few questions that I hope the members of MobileRead will be able to provide input into.

1) Given the known grammar issues with Likebook's default epub reader (eg: inconsistent spacing between sentences) I most likely will need to use a third-party app for epubs, at least in the short term. I spent several hours trying to look this up on-line, but I have yet to find a decent comparison between the various third-party e-reader apps. Am I better off using KO Reader, Cool Reader, Moon+ Reader, etc.?

2) I have come across conflicting information regarding the maximum size supported by the microSD card slot. Some sources say 128GB, others say 64GB. But the SD card standard used by both those sizes (SDXC) can support up-to 2TB... so what is the factor preventing the Mimas from supporting microSD cards larger than 64/128GB? And two related questions: will the Mimas automatically format a blank microSD card inserted into it? and does the Mimas use exFAT or FAT 32 formatting?

3) Will the Mimas treat CBR/CBZ files like PDFs or will I need to use a third-party app for this? If the latter is the case what are people's thoughts on the Tachiyomi app I see in some reviews of Likebook devices?

for your input into these questions. I look forward to posting more once my Likebook Mimas has been delivered.
SJC-Caron is offline   Reply With Quote