View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
eBookwise-1150 or older Palm for ebook reading

I don't need a PDA. I don't need a phone, wifi, etc. I need an ebook reader. Sounds like an Ebookwise reader is perfect, eh? Well, I'm struggling to take the plunge and could use your advice.

I'm one of those people who have to lift my glasses to read these days and I read voraciously so large screen VS. small screen is one of the big selling features for me.

The vast majority of the books I will be reading are available (for free) in .pdb and .lit format. I am really unhappy with the proprietary nature of all the readers out there! I've read that it is possible to convert .pdb files but if I recall correctly, it is a two-step process and I lose some text formatting. Seems like a PIA since I definitely want .pdb dooks.

I've looked and looked at Palms (T5, T3, etc) but I just haven't been able to bring myself to spend the extra cost for features I will waste. The only screen so car that seems close to large enough is the T5 and again, the cost is silly since I don't need all the features. What I want is an large screen Ereader with easily accessible .pdb books!

I've considered an older Palm that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (cost would be much lower than even the 1150) but I'm concerned about if an older model has enough operating power and room for books. WIll they accept the newest software or will I be stuck with an old OS? (I know nothing about handhelds). I don't need hundreds of books, just a couple dozen at a time maybe. Ebooks are my focus and I want (fairly) large, easy to read screen.

So, an older Palm VS the Ebookwise 1150? I've ruled out the Franklin eBookman and Rocket since neither accept .pdb formats but feel free to convince me to take a second look if you know something I don't about how I'd have to convert files to work on them

One last issue. Do any handheld devices work with text-to-speech programs that will read the books to me? I'm aware of the HUGE TTS engines I can get for my home PC (NaturalVoices, et al) but do handhelds have any capability for this? Forget the Microsoft default TTS-type voices. Sam, Mike and Michelle just won't cut it.

I hope someone is out there willing to tackle any or all of my questions.

Last edited by Katelyn; 07-22-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote