View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If these "grey imports" were permitted (they have long been ruled to be illegal in the EU) the result would be that the publisher would stop printing these editions, and it would be poor countries that would suffer as a result.
Until this case, grey market textbooks were sold in the US, and I don't think too many people were thinking there was a legal risk. I bought one once. Because it is harder to sell back used at the end of the semester, I'd only do it in a special situation.

I've also bought books that aren't published in the US at any price. Here is an example.

Questions:

-- If this ruling is upheld, does that mean you can order the same grey market book from a seller abroad to be mailed here, but not from a seller based in the US?

-- Does it make any difference whether the book is published in the US as well as abroad?

-- What if the US version is slightly different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The result would be that publishers would have to lower the prices they charge in rich countries to roughly match the cost of buying abroad, importing and reselling.
There are other options. The publishers could just accept that there will be a few grey market sales. Or they could do more to differentiate the content of the overseas editions. Or they could raise everyone's price