View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
ePub Page Numbers in Ebook Viewer vs PRS-505

UPDATE: Adobe Digital Editions doesn't have this problem. It displays the exact same page definitions for ePub files as my PRS-505. So, while it would be nicer to use Calibre's reader (I love Calibre!), I'm ok for now. ;-)
/End Update

It's my understanding that ePub files have page numbers based on a page map, or if there is no page map, every 1024 bytes of source-content is interpreted as a "page".

My wife reads on the computer sometimes, and since the PRS-505 doesn't have a search feature, I had thought the fixed page numbers would be perfect. She could note her page number in Calibre's Ebook Viewer, and then jump to that page on the PRS-505. But for her book, Ebook Viewer says it has 977 pages(!) while the PRS-505 says 417.

Since ePub page numbers have nothing to do with how much text is displayed on the screen, why would the total number of pages be different for the same (Calibre generated) ePub file on my PRS-505 and the Ebook Viewer in Calibre?

Side note: If setting page numbers to automatically line up between PC and PRS-505 is hard to implement or impossible, it would be GREAT if Calibre's Ebook Viewer could let you manually set the total number of pages, and adjust the current page listing in the viewed book accordingly.

Last edited by Zero9; 06-05-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote