View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 05:16 PM   #12
shayaknyc
Enthusiast
shayaknyc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to consider a local calibre library and a one way sync to an IPFS file store. Alternatively, a local calibre library and a save to disk template to stuff more information into the filename and saving to an IPFS file store.
I think my original post may have gotten misinterpreted.

I'm not looking to REPLACE how Calibre stores and manages the library files. I'm looking to extend access to the library assets by way of IPFS as an additional area where these assets may be stored - not exclusively. Sort of like the content-server, or calibre-web, except using IPFS and its ability to definitively identify an asset or tree, by way of its hash, as well as through distributed peer storage.

Since IPFS is still largely in its infancy/tween years, it's difficult to navigate unless you're a pretty advanced user who's familiar with how IPFS is structured. I'm MAYBE an advanced intermediate user, and I'm still learning how IPFS works and don't fully understand it yet. What appears to be missing from IPFS is the ability to search the metadata to identify the asset one is interested in accessing. This is where Calibre's strengths really are - it's a vast database of asset metadata, that's highly searchable. By finding a way to leverage Calibre's existing library management across the IPFS storage space, I thought, would/could be useful.

In essence, I'm thinking it would be possible to somehow link the IPNS for each asset that's uploaded to IPFS, and map it to the asset within calibre. This will allow me to not have to keep track of the IPNS of a given asset, while ensuring the integrity of the data, as well as any updates to that given asset (as the CID would change with subsequent data changes).
shayaknyc is offline   Reply With Quote