View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
shayaknyc
Enthusiast
shayaknyc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can't see anyone wanting to create a plugin to support IPFS. I don't think IPFS will work because Calibre works from a standard drive letter. It does not work on a file system that needs an IP address.
All content that's on IPFS starts off on some local storage - either a drive letter in windows, or a path in *nix/bsd-based OSs - nobody's saving directly to the IPFS, it's gotta get uploaded first, and once it's uploaded, it's provided a hash CID, which is it's unique identifier in the IPFS system, which can then be dynamically linked to via IPNS, so if you ever make updates to an asset, you don't have to update the CID, as the IPNS will point to all revisions/updates of a given CID.

I'm not sure you're making the right argument against somehow leveraging IPFS with one's calibre library. Personally, I'd be very interested in democratizing and sharing my curated collection with whomever would want access to it. It's been wildly successful for scihub (current court-cases not withstanding)......

Edit: I found this quite useful in helping to illustrate my point: https://proto.school/course/ipfs

Last edited by shayaknyc; 06-17-2022 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added link
shayaknyc is offline   Reply With Quote