View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Great!

However, I don't think you need to worry about 'revisiting' the work if they change the standard in the future. The images are released under a specific version of the license... I think the latest for CC SA is version 4. As long as you comply with the requirements of the version under which it was released the author cannot take back - or change - those licenses.

As a matter of fact, it says so, right on the license:
Funny you mention this b/c I read a blog post the other day from a woman who was using a CC BY SA image on her website, and she was contacted by the copyright owner telling her she was in violation of the license. It turned out he changed the CC license type at some point, long after she had started using it. She made the point it's hard to prove the image was posted with a particular license when the owner can change the license type anytime they want (I don't know if that's true, just repeating what she said). She politely wrote back to the copyright holder "thanking him for making her aware he had changed his CC license" (even though he didn't say that). He responded without admitting he changed it, but after another exchange or two he implied he had (according to her read of the exchange... she posted both sides and I didn't read it quite that way).

IAC the entire point of her post was to "beware" of CC BY SA b/c "the owners can change the license type anytime they want, putting you in non-compliance." So she switched to CC0 images. That was another thing that put me off my feed where CC BY SA is concerned, but maybe she was mistaken and he "had no right" to change the license type. I am no CC expert!

However your help was much appreciated as I do feel easier about including a page within the book to reference any CC BY SA images if it turns out in the end I have to include a few!
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote