View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Thanks Toxaris and Turtle91. That would be the elegant solution but I doubt it meets the Creative Commons license requirements for CC BY SA (CC ShareAlike), as all attributes are supposed to be with the image. If there is a special clause that allows this alternate method for ebooks (which imho there should be), I am unaware of it.

Affixing the CC BY SA logo to a pic in Photoshop is easy enough, but the logo needs to link to the license, while the pic needs to link to the original work. You can accomplish multiple links within an image in Photoshop, but the method it uses is intended for webpages, so it saves the resulting file as HTML + a folder with accompanying images. I will have dozens of images so even if I knew how to import these into Sigil and make it all work (i.e. I'd then have to place these linked images inside my text), it seemed over-wrought.

Ditching that, I tried placing the CC BY SA logo below each pic in Sigil (I made a very small one in Photoshop), and use Sigil to link it to the license, then the image can be linked to the original, per lic requirements... however you also have to use the author's title of the image, and his/her name. That is a lot of info, especially when the author chooses an exceptionally long name for the image... and now imagine two images side-by-side that are 250px wide each, and it became clear this was not going to work. It would def require a separate page to keep the book looking clean and I doubt that meets CC BY SA requirements. (Some authors probably wouldn't mind, but others might.) ?? IAC I want to be in compliance.

Personally, after two days of trying every angle, I arrived at the inescapable conclusion that CC0-licensed images are the way to go. For those new to this, CC0 (that's a zero) means the author released the work into the public domain to use for any reason without restrictions or need of attribution. I am affixing the CC0 logo to each image just so people know the pictures weren't pilfered. And I am keeping a table of where each came from and the author, as I do want to credit the authors who were kind enough to make their work available, even though it isn't required... and in this case I can use a separate page at the end of the book.

If anyone has a better solution for CC BY SA images, or knows that a separate page in ebooks is okay for that more restrictive license, I'd be interested as there may be some images I cannot find with a CC0 license.

Last edited by Trane; 02-15-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote