View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Calibre has no role in this scenario. When you delete a book using the reader, the reader also cleans the collections. Calibre does notice that the book went away, but nothing further is done regardless of the setting of the option.
I should learn to do the experiments before I speak.

At least for my PRS-300, neither dwanthny nor I were completely accurate.

Scenario 1: I delete a book using the device. At the point of deletion, the reader removes the book from the database, which includes removing it from all collections. However, it does not remove any now-empty collections. Plugging in and unplugging the device without using calibre or Sony desktop sw doesn't change the database. Empty collections are still there.

Scenario 2: I plug in the device, but don't permit calibre or the Sony desktop sw to connect. I delete a book using a file manager, then unplug the device. The reader scans for changes, detects the book is gone, then does the same as in scenario 1.

Scenario 3: I have done either of scenario 1 or 2, then connect the device and let calibre open it. During calibre's initial 'handshake' with the device, calibre verifies that its list of books (we aren't yet looking at the library, just the device) is correct. It will notice that a book file is now gone, then repair broken collections (collections that reference non-existent books) and delete any empty collections. This processing is independent of the management option.

Scenario 4: I plug in the device without calibre or Sony desktop sw running. Like scenario 2, I use a file explorer to delete a book. I then start calibre without unplugging the device. Calibre proceeds as in scenario 3, noticing the missing book file and repairing collections. Quit calibre without unplugging the device. At this point we have almost the same situation as scenario 2; there is a book in the reader's database that no longer exists in the reader's memory, but calibre has already cleaned the collections. Unplug the device. The reader SW will discover that the book is missing and remove it from it's database.

What the experiments show is that (for my 300) the reader and calibre cooperate to produce a clean reader database. Both calibre and the reader will remove missing books from a collection. Calibre removes empty collections. The reader cleans missing books from its database.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote