View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
So make an epub2. Amazon does a good job of making every Kindle format from that.
It was the ONLY way I could get uploads for old KF7, KF8 and KFX to not have "bugs".

You only need the Dual Mobi for Kindle sales on Smashwords and you need the epub2 there also, anyway.

I found I could not use a Print version for ebook generation. I find it's simpler, when the epubp2 has been proofed to death (I copy back annotations from a Kobo to PC using Kobo Utilities in Calibre) to make the formatted version for PDF for Print.

I use a small page size with no headers or footers, all pages are "default style" and style of "insert page before" isn't set. The Register and Snap are false.
For paper, I use maybe 2 to 6 page styles:
Early front matter, no page numbers
Roman numbered pages
Contents page(s)
Numbered book pages.
End matter
I use Register True (space between lines lines up through page)
Mirror margins for a small binding offset. Warning, Danger Will Robinson! Ebooks don't really have global page margins set in the book.
Headers different left & right
Footers

It can use a font like Garamond, ebooks can't.
The images (if any) need to be higher resolution and sized for the desired paper.

Mirror Danger? MS Word in particular may produce PDFs where the left & right go out of sync. Also watch out for last line of page bug. Hit return to add an extra blank line and then BS delete, otherwise at print time / PDF, the last line may fully justify instead of left justify! MS advice. Bug for maybe over 15 years?

Proof every page on screen visually of publisher's PDF for paper.

Do not print anything on paper yourself for ebooks. Save As docx, convert in calibre for epub2 and proof on a Kobo or Lithium App.

For PDF, proofing either a full HD screen or a 10" tablet, assuming no larger than 9" x 6" paper.

If you want paper, proof the epub to death, make a PDF and order a proof copy POD, I stopped printing even partial drafts on paper about 8 years ago. Last complete home printed draft novel maybe 1996.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote