Thread: Literary Owls Do Cry by Janet Frame
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 11:06 PM   #21
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Of a number of things I noticed in the book that might be confusing one I recall was the reference to shopping at "Woolworths". The name has a long history in NZ and Australia (and the UK too, but as far as I know never any relation) and without going through all the gymnastics of its various owners over that time it is, in the main, a supermarket operating company (the most common of several market names in NZ is "Countdown").

But in the 1940s setting of the book it was, in NZ, a chain that sold small and cheap type variety goods such as toys, stationery, kitchenware, beauty items, sweets, etc. The shops were nothing like modern supermarket size and the selection small. Nothing to do with the groceries (except for sweets) that the name is now associated with.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote