View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliva View Post
Somewhere on this forum I read that if you upload to KDP a KPF file made with Kindle Create or with Kindle Previewer 3, the customers who have older KF8 devices (which are not enhanced-typesetting enabled) will receive just the old KF7 version and not the better KF8 version.
I have tested this and it is true for KPF files produced using Kindle Create.

It might also be true for KPF files produced using the Kindle Previewer, but as far as I know no one has tried it. (If anyone has actually published a book using a Kindle Previewer KPF file please chime in with the ASIN and we should be able to resolve the question.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliva View Post
My question is: would that work also if I upload a mobi instead, made with Kindlegen?
Yes. As long as you use the default command line options for kindlegen, especially avoiding the "-dont_append_source" option. (The included source file is needed to produce KFX - Enhanced Typesetting.)

Kindlegen is also built into the Kindle Previewer and you can export a MOBI file produced by kindlegen using the same menu choice that exports KPF. Just change the file type to MOBI in the dialog box.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote