View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 12:01 AM   #19
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Glad you posted. I was having trouble believing that I could take someone's PD book, move around a few sentences and then, add a couple words and have the right to copyright this as a "new" work.

Unless I'm wrong (and I'm wrong often) I think what can be copyrighted when republishing a book in the public domain, is any additional material the publisher adds, like a new introduction, or new insights on the author's life, etc. something original. I think I've also seen the layout (fonts, margins, etc.) copyrighted which wouldn't mean much in an ePub or Mobi eBook.
There's also something called a collection copyright, where they collect a bunch of books or short stories and publish that collection. I can see that if it's a bunch of books or stories by different authors but if they're all already available from Gutenberg or Internet Archive then I don't see it.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote