View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 05:54 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Copyright requires originality. Editorial changes (e.g. regularising/modernising spelling, fixing obvious typos) don't count. Project Gutenberg is that cautious because they're operating under US laws, so a later edition with corrections by the author might still be in copyright, but the earlier published work might be out of copyright. (Because of the way that copyright in the US depends on publication date for works published before 1978.)

You don't get a new copyright on a book's text just by republishing it.
Glad you posted. I was having trouble believing that I could take someone's PD book, move around a few sentences and then, add a couple words and have the right to copyright this as a "new" work.

Unless I'm wrong (and I'm wrong often) I think what can be copyrighted when republishing a book in the public domain, is any additional material the publisher adds, like a new introduction, or new insights on the author's life, etc. something original. I think I've also seen the layout (fonts, margins, etc.) copyrighted which wouldn't mean much in an ePub or Mobi eBook.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote