Thread: Firmware Update 5.14.3
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
As a retired IT Professional I would like to say that not all updates have to be new features. In fact to most looked for updates that I want is the ones that just fix the bugs and issues the last update caused. All software is buggy and will always be. We use to have a saying for ever bug found 100 has not been found, and the fix more than likely will create at least one bug somewhere else in the system or device.
We were more optimistic: “wherever one bug exists, there is another one.” In other words it was worth taking some additional time looking at the code again with fresh eyes to discover other flaws.

But this was before any form of automated testing was possible and widespread use of code coverage and static analysis tools. Overall I would say software quality is better than ever, even dramatically better per line of code written. Many of the biggest issues are caused not by software problems but infrastructure failures, expiring credentials and stuff like that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote