View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I was curious to see your reaction, Tom, since I knew this happened in your backyard. It's always an added pleasure to be able to visualize exactly the setting of a book.

As for Charlie's checklist, I have to admit to somewhat mixed feelings. Essentially, I'm very glad I read it and I learned a lot, but I didn't think it lived up to its potential. Tom mentioned the repetitiveness. I also thought the author inserted herself too much into the narrative, where she'd have better left the facts to speak for themselves. I mentioned above that I thought the book overwritten and unfortunately I thought the narration emphasised this. What bothered me most in the long run, though, was the sense that the author didn't really understand what the computers did, or if she did, she didn't convey it well.

This was a three-star read for me that should have been a four. But my takeaway, especially pertinent in these times, is the utter bewilderment at the willingness of some to squander so much potential out of spleen and resentment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
To be sure, I was born in 1950 and was in a segregated elementary school
...and all that implies, I imagine. Unfortunately the world hasn't changed as much as I used to think it had.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote