View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #202
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
RE: Jumping the Walled garden

Interesting post. Nice to see actual figures.

One thing which I am unclear on. Were prices the same with the same company, different regions excluding coupons?

Helen
No, they weren't the same. It seems you missed it in the mass of text.

First series, no coupon, per book:

Amazon US $10.95 (€8.20)
Amazon UK 3.95 pounds, €4.75
Kobo US: $12.99 (€9.75)
Kobo Netherlands: €4.95

Stores not in the comparison for series 1:
Feedbooks (Entire World): €9.75. I knew this price already.
Ebooks.com (Entire World) €4.96 for book 1-3, €5.98 for book 4-5. Therefore more expensive than Kobo. I knew these prices already.

Second series, no coupon, per book:

Amazon US store: $9.81 (€7.35) (Book 1-5)
Amazon UK store: 3.05 pounds (€3.65) (Book 1-5)
Kobo US: $6.75 (€5.00) (Book 1-3, missing 4 and 5)
Kobo Netherlands: (€6.04) (Book 1-3, missing 4 and 5)
FeedBooks (Entire World): €4.49 (Book 1-4, missing 5)
Diesel (Entire World): $4.81 (€3.56) (Book 1-5, cannot buy this series with Dutch creditcard.)

Stores not in comparison for Series 2:
EBooks.com (Entire World): €6.01, knew this price already. Kobo+coupon was bound to be cheaper, and EBooks.com has prices without VAT.

Other notes: EBooks.com has prices slightly lower than Kobo Netherlands with many books I checked, but these are without VAT. When paying, 21% VAT is added for the Netherlands, making Kobo cheaper with most, but not all books.

Stores I didn't look at:
Waterstones. Cannot pay there. Creditcard not accepted.
Foyles: Cannot pay there. Only UK creditcards accepted.
WHSmith: With most books seems to be a Kobo retailer, actually referring to the Kobo site when paying.

At least, I've finally tried the KindleUnpack plugin. If one buys an AZW3 from Amazon, a perfect EPUB is extracted, without conversion. (There is no "calibre" stuff in the CSS etc.) The only thing missing is the cover, but I'll put that in with Sigil in no-time.

Because Amazon is sometimes amazingly cheap, I was starting to research how AZW3 would convert to EPUB, to use that newly converted file as a source for other conversions, such as back to AZW3 after fixing it where needed. That's not necessary anymore.

Using KindleUnpack, Amazon actually provides very good "EPUB" files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Diesel does accept Paypal.
Yes, but not for this series, because my billing address of my creditcard is Dutch, which is also the payment method for Paypal.

Temporarily "moving" to a different country by changing the data in my profile of a store is OK with me, but I'm not going to *** around with the credit card. Sometimes I need that thing to buy other stuff than books, so I don't want it in trouble.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-18-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote