View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
i think that <meta> tags with the 'refines' attribute were only introduced in epub3, and that the only dublin:core tags that allowed attributes (specifically the 'role' attribute) were the 'creator' and 'contributor' tags (i.e., <dc:creator opf:role="aut"... <dc:contributor opf:role="dsr"... ).

so basically, in epub2, you can't use <meta refines... for a subtitle, and you can't have a second <dc:title/> element with the attribute opf:role="subtitle".

it seems like part of the reason the idpf is introducing the meta tags to refine roles in epub3 is actually that people/publishers were complaining that they couldn't include subtitles in the metadata.

https://code.google.com/p/epub-revis...d_Subtitles_(A)
I think that is the case as well. Metadata is a mess at EPUB2 did not allow subtitles, editions, etc. People were just adding on to the title with a colon and then the subtitle. And Alpie is right that they are trying to add this in for EPUB3 which should have been done long ago.
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote