View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
i think that <meta> tags with the 'refines' attribute were only introduced in epub3, and that the only dublin:core tags that allowed attributes (specifically the 'role' attribute) were the 'creator' and 'contributor' tags (i.e., <dc:creator opf:role="aut"... <dc:contributor opf:role="dsr"... ).

so basically, in epub2, you can't use <meta refines... for a subtitle, and you can't have a second <dc:title/> element with the attribute opf:role="subtitle".

it seems like part of the reason the idpf is introducing the meta tags to refine roles in epub3 is actually that people/publishers were complaining that they couldn't include subtitles in the metadata.

https://code.google.com/p/epub-revis...d_Subtitles_(A)
All correct.

I just want to add: unfortunately, as discussed either on IDPF forum or on Twitter w/ tech guys of IDPF (I do not remember exactly), support for these "extended" metadata is scarce and often conflicting between different Reading Systems. So, once again, you might want to stay on the "conservative" side, and use DC metadata elements that were already supported in EPUB 2.

Last edited by AlPe; 04-18-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote