View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #25
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Klingon Inspired Design - a new theme for the EB600

Well, actually it's not that new anymore. Some may know it from the Dev Hub, I'm using it as example for the skin file anatomy.

I decided to finally present it "officially", that is, here. Originally I hoped to integrate it with a new versio of kewl-er, but it seems Codemonkey is on a hiatus. Well, no matter, should he find the time to work on it again I can always integrate it later.
The current installation procedure is taken from his kewl-er script. Without this, I would never have even started trying to manipulate the skin files :-)

In the meantime - why keep it from others, perhaps I'm not the only one who likes it? :-)

I suppose not everyone has read the text on the Dev Hub, so here are a few words about the theme:

It started as a try to create a klingon-like interface. Unfortunately, the system is far too inflexible to be useful for that.
However, a few things did work as intended, so while the result isn't all that klingon-like, it takes a few hints from klingons. :-)

Don't worry, I didn't just slap klingon symbols all over the place, nor is everything IN klingon.
The menus are the same as always too, as I didn't find a usable way to modify them without losing functionality or looking badly made, with mismatching colors all the time.

What I did change though is the status bar and a few pictures.

Here's a mock-up (including legend) for the status bar when you read a book:

If you like it, download the full theme from here: KIDesign.zip.

You don't have to install it yet - just unzip and look at the startup/power-off pictures - they're nice, I think.

If there are problems with this theme, or you find an image missing(that is, an original showing through), just tell me. I'll try to correct it.

Installation instructions are within the readme file. It's easy and should work on any CoolEr, or perhaps even on non-CoolER devices, as long as they are EB600 and use a variation of the Netronix firmware.

If you give it a try, please remember - I did test it, and I am using the same files - but it still could happen that something goes wrong and you end up with a bricked device.
I don't expect this to happen, but you should backup all your files in any case. It doesn't hurt to be prepared, right?
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote