View Single Post
Old 02-11-2024, 04:04 PM   #2049
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohreh View Post
1. Are "Native PDF output" and "Re-flow text" related? I notice they are mutually exclusive, and sometimes are only available in certain modes
Sorry for the late reply. "Native PDF" means the output consists of the original PDF source and then each page is just a sequence of cropped regions from that source material. To do that at the re-flow level is not practical--too many cropboxes and would overload most readers. The other option is that k2pdfopt simply builds a simple bitmap of each output page, so in that case re-flow works fine. That's why they are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
2. Under the hood, what is "reflow text", really? Does it mean that k2pdfopt will move text blocks leftward + downward, combine them into a single page before turning it from native PDF to a bitmap?
That's right. k2pdfopt determines word locations and then re-organizes the words on each bitmapped page to fit the page size best. If you use the -sm option, you can get more of an idea of what it is doing.

Quote:
3. Would I have more chance converting a PDF into EPUB if I first run it through k2optpdf before opening its simplified output into Calibre and export as EPUB?
These are my (dated) comments on epub conversion.

Quote:
Is there a way to really remove the cropped data so it's gone in the output PDF?
You started a thread on hard trimming PDFs not long ago.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote