View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine. I was holding out for a Kindle 2.0, but when one wasn't announced in Oct/Nov., I decided to go for the 700. Boy, am I glad I did! I'm not going to diss the Kindle, as it has its advantages, however, the 700 was perfect for my use. I love the virtual keyboard and the frontlight for nighttime reading.

For my reading, I use Manybooks, Feedbooks, FictionWise (!), and the Sony bookstore. So far everything has been either free or not above $13 USD. Right now I have 50 books loaded on my reader, but I've probably read at least 7-12 of them and haven't bothered to delete them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
So, I live in Australia and I just got my Sony Reader PRS-700 delivered to my door from B&H. Great service from them, and super fast shipping time!

WOW! It's much smaller than I expected, but it weights a little more than I expected too. Not that either of those are a bad thing, in fact I like them.

Now in regards to the screen, I have yet to read anything on it, but I think it's perfectly fine! I've not seen another eInk screen before, so I can't make a comparison, but I went outside in the quit hot and brght day and it's VERY readable. In my room with the lights off and just the ambient light from the closed blinds, it's still very reasonable. Worse comes to worse I just flick the light on and it becomes perfectly fine again.

The only nagging aspect is the side lighting bleed, but I expected that rom photos/videos. Just thought sony could have some up with a better solution, but anything that allows me to read in the night is a winner for me.

On the quick flicks of the demo books, it's damn fast! Faster than any reader i've seen video of, and even videos of the PRS-700 i've seen.

So, now for the real experiment! What do you all recommend I read? Also were are your favorite places to buy eBooks?
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote