View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 02:33 AM   #85
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Too bad you didn't PM me for the correct file.
Not to worry, the serial port is easy to connect to on a PW3.
BTW, I did understand that DaAppleMan finally was successful with jailbreaking his out-of-the-box-5.8.9.0.1 PW3, though he used the horribly out-of-date initial fw file.

To recapitulate my jb'ing experiences with different PW3 (4 GB, WiFi) devices (all bought in brick-and-mortar stores here in Germany):
1) Bought around January 2017 (it came with a fw 5.8.3 or so on it...), using the 5.7.4 initial factory downgrade fw: Downgrading worked flawlessly, in around 10 or 15 minutes or so.
2) Bought in June 2017, delivery fw was 5.8.5 (or 5.8.6 - don't remember correctly...): Same procedure worked, but also took really about a whole hour stuck in the "Wait while your Kindle is updating..." screen. Finally, it started up with the factory 5.7.4, and was jailbreakable. I suppose, it has to do do with a newer hardware revision.
3) Bought in the December Sale 2017, out of the box fw was 5.8.9.0.1, and using your magnificent 5.8.9.0.1 initial factory firmware: Again, downgrading (or more precisely: sidegrading ...) took no longer than a quarter hour.

Conclusion: For PW3-4GB the very, very old initial factory fw 5.7.4 still could work, but with heavy problems (extremely long time for downgrading). But the 5.8.9.0.1 factory build is much better for currently selling PW3s (out-of-the-box 5.8.9.0.1), and the ONLY one that could be used with the PW3-32GB Manga model and that special fw version.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote