View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Messed up, bricked, fixed, messed up... need some advice.

One of my PRS-T1's bought as new from eBay a few months ago has started acting strangely.

Shutting down last night it froze mid shut-down. Finally got it restarted by charging it and soft resetting. I allowed it to charge to 100% before putting it into standby for the night.

This morning it wouldn't come out of standby and plugging it in to get it started showed that the charge is again empty.

Would a factory reset help or are we talking short or dead battery?
The last charge was just under a week ago with moderately heavy use, although it usually lasts a couple weeks.

Edit: I was just talking to my father who was using it when this happened, and apparently it wouldn't complete shut down. It just kept spinning and spinning the arrow icon.

I TRIED a factory reset, but again the endless spinning arrow. Soft resetting during either the factory reset or the shut down lock up will allow me to re-start the unit, but it just seems incapable of fully shutting down.

Edit 2: Okay, fixed it... round about and only mostly.
After tweaking the Sony flasher utility to force a re-flash of the 1.0.07 firmware, I bricked this.
I then used a recovery image for v1.0.04 firmware via a microsd card which unbricked it and then I reflashed v1.0.07 to be safe.

Unfortunately now I have a hybrid firmware. It SAYS the firmware is v1.0.07, but it still shows the Sony Reader store instead of Kobo.

Any suggestions on that? Is there a 1.0.07 recovery image? The shutdown bug is fixed, but I'm uncomfortable since I don't know which parts of which firmware are actually being used.

Edit 3: Sorted. Learned way too much about these readers tonight and killed a lot of time, but I used the method below to give the T1 the illusion of running an older firmware and then reflashed successfully to 1.0.07: https://community.sony.com/t5/Reader...re/td-p/460702

Anyone who needs help with a reader that won't shut down properly, bricks, or needs to downgrade the firmware, I can probably give advice.

Last edited by DoctorM; 12-15-2015 at 04:06 AM.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote