Thread: Asked vs Said
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Dear Dr Drib, knowing you to be a delicate soul that usually writes such tasteful and elegant prose, and seeing that JSWolf, the father-figure of this forum that everyone looks to as the voice of restraint, has failed to correct you, I feel it is incumbent on me to point out, in the simplest, clearest and most unambiguous manner that I can, that the post you made earlier this day was, actually, in full frankness, an example of a less than ideal choice of verb for speech attribution.
And yet it was used all the time a little over 100 years ago.

And, as recently, in one of Thomas Pynchon's novels ("Against The Day"):

“Swell!” Darby ejaculated. “We’re chasing ourselves now.”

I think I first noticed it (in fiction), when I acquired some of the original Tom Swift books, the ones published at the turn of the last century, as written by Victor Appleton. I thought it was funny, at fist, until I did some research and found out that it's one of those words not much in common use today, unless one is purposefully parodying a style of writing, as Pynchon does in part of that rich, funny, HUMONGOUS novel quoted above.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-07-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote