View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #18
poohbear_nc
Feliz Fowlidad!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
First Updates!

In addition to the above mentioned power saving updates, there are some nifty new features. Amazon is moving more functionality to the Carousel and actually making it useful!

1. You can now 'pin' apps to the front of the Carousel. So now, no matter how many apps you use, or if you buy a bunch of books on one day, you can now pin your most accessed apps to the start of the Carousel. I hope they port this to the Fire Tablet - the Carousel is now functional, rather than an annoyance.
I have pinned the Phone app, Email app, Notes app, Maps app, and my Photo gallery. This is a real help if you're driving and absolutely need to make a call or pull up directions - the apps are now on the first screen at your fingertips. No more searching through a list.

2. On the app grid view you can now make collections by type: you can only have one type of item in a collection - put all your books into a "library" collection, put all your games apps together, etc. This really reduces the number of screens you have to page through on grid view, and cleans up the display. You can't put apps & books into the same collection.

3. You can now delete emails directly from the Carousel - without having to open the email app. So you can quickly clean up your Inbox or browse new emails while on the Carousel without opening an app.

These updates clearly (IMHO) indicate that Amazon will be distinguishing its smartphone from other brands by enhancing/improving the Carousel - part of its emphasis on one-handed or gesture/eye controlled functionality. It's amazing what you able to do holding the phone in one hand and using your thumb and wrist movements to access content/apps from the Carousel. All smartphones have the grid app view (as does Amazon), but only Amazon offers the Carousel - and I'm going to be eagerly watching for how ingenious future updates will be.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote