View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Displaying images on e-ink screens

I think this is the "most right" forum for this topic...
I would like to know more about how well e-ink screens displays images, and how much software and file formats matters.

I got into a discussion yesterday about displaying images on an e-ink devices - more specifically images and graphics that accompany fiction - for instance a map in a fantasy novel. It was suggested that e-ink displays (on a Kindle) are really poor for this, and one shouldn't bother. I agree that details may not show well, and that you really shouldn't bother too much with very small images; they have to be pretty close to full screen size. Also they have to be formatted with an e-ink display in mind; size-wise and quality-wise. But if they are, then I do think it's worth bothering.

My device is a Cybook Gen3 and I wondered if there might be differences in how well it displays images vs. a Kindle? (why the person I discussed it with were less positive about images on e-ink displays).

As RickyMaveety mentions here:
Quote:
... I haven't found that the Kindle dithers very well, but then maybe I need to experiment more.
Since the Kindle and the Cybook has similar screens I wondered if there could be differences regarding the software? How does the mobipockets format handle images? Like jpg's in an html file?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote