View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I think the real question is do employees who accept Amazon's employment terms have an option, other than starving and homelessness?
I don't believe that to be the "real" question at all. I believe you're being presumptuous about a) the conditions being worked under at amazon facilities, and b) the notion that all people working at Amazon facilities are miserable and one step away from poverty and homelessness.

It is my contention that while people who feel the way you do may actually tend to do so out of what they believe to be concern their "fellow man;" they're typically people who've been payed far too much, for far too long (for doing far too little) to be able to relate to sweat-of-their-brow-and-proud-of-it type folk. They're a bit out of touch with what "working for a living" actually means to many.

Part of the disconnect is that we're not likely to hear from the people who are perfectly content with their Amazon jobs (of which I'm sure there are many--white- and blue-collar). Because that's not newsworthy at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If that is the only employment available, then it is not a choice.
Why on earth would you believe it's the only employment available? There's nothing to suggest that Amazon only builds warehouses and creates jobs in economically-depressed areas. Quite the opposite, in fact.

But we've derailed this thread enough with our differences of opinion. I propose we stop. But you're welcome to continue this conversation with yourself if you like.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-24-2018 at 01:16 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote