Thread: epub or mobi?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
epub or mobi?

I've been looking over the various tutorials for epub making, and I must admit that I'm having some troubles. Making a well-formatted mobi book, using HarryT's wonderful tutorial, is a snap; making an epub is certainly not! I tried using the html file used in making a mobi book by importing into calibre - all seemed to work on pc Adobe DR but the toc won't work on my Bebook - which is an important failure. I also tried Atlantis with similar results - gives an epub ok but the toc won't even work on my pc Adobe DR. I know it's possible because I've downloaded epubs with TOCs that work perfectly in Bebook. I've thought about starting from scratch, but the xhtml code is certainly a time-consuming and complex endeavor, as is purchasing and trying to learn Adobe's InDesign to make epubs. Adobe is noted for its non-intuitive approach to user interfaces in all it's programs.

Why are so many choosing epub with it complexities over mobi with its simple to use creator? I fail to see any advantages of epub over mobi - is it because the Adobe in the ebook format wars is considered unbeatable so that epub is the only way to go or are there real advantages to epub?
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote