View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #67
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
November 2007... I intended to do my Christmas shopping early, and went to Amazon as I can often find things from my family members' wishlists there.

Lo and behold there on the front page was the Kindle. I saw the part about e-Ink and thought "Wait a minute; is that that electronic paper stuff I heard about in the mid-80's? Are they finally doing something commercial with that? About time! Tell me more!

Triggered the Kindle page. Read all the way down it. Ignored the videos (I was on dial-up at the time) but read every word. It had been out for a few days so I hit Google. Read every review and discussion I could find. Wanted wanted wanted, but wanted to be sure that 400$ wasn't something I was going to be regretting later. Somewhere in there my path kept crossing Mobileread. Noticed all the e-books. Googled for Kindle reviews every week or so. Back at Mobileread, found out about igorsk's Kindle easter eggs post. Tried e-books on Palm T|X to be sure I would honestly like them. Started actual MobileRead account. Got Christmas/Birthday money from relative. Bit my nails over whether a Kindle or a Cybook would be better. Kindle came back in stock. Tax return came in. Decided I could finally afford it. Took the plunge.

I think that's how it happened, anyway.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote