View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
jadedboi
jadedboi began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Thanks for the link, jadedboi. Of course I have to disagree with the author, for the following reasons:
  • "Children don't buy eBook hardware." That's true only as long as parents don't see the benefit of e-books.
  • "eBook hardware is always a day late and a pound too heavy." If you look at dedicated e-book hardware, perhaps true. But if you take a regular PDA with a decent screen, you wouldn't complain about weight or technology.
  • "The rise of audio books and in-car back-seat CD and tape players, have made eBook technologies less interesting." What is an audio book other than some form of an e-book? Anyways, I don't see how either of the two would supplement the other.
I've been reading ebooks of some form ever since i bought my first Palm IIIx back in the day. The quality of the screen for reading was a huge factor in my purchase of an Axim x50v last year, as well. Regrettably, I'm back to an old Sony after the Axim was stolen. *sigh*

I've actually bought more books off eReader in the past 2 years than I have from a traditional bookstore in the past 10. For me, it's just too convenient to be able to carry a small library in my pocket.

If anything, I hope that the growing trend towards phones that run 3rd party software will result in more reader software getting out to the masses. I'd hate to be reading on anything that small, but there are people crazier than I out there.

Once ebooks are no longer a niche market, maybe we can then see some sort of more realistic pricing compared to the text versions...
jadedboi is offline   Reply With Quote