View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Well, in this case (a PRC file) there's no conversion needeed. They might charge you, but it'll be for the cost of delivering the file through EVDO.
I know that. I thought that prc and mobi files were essentially the same but with different extensions and you were asking if it is possible to have them wirelessly deliver one (i.e. a file that didn't need converting). I guess I'm not sure what you meant by "Have you tried sending a Mobipocket file to your Kindle using an e-mail"?

Quote:
Amazon will have to keep the conversion service running somehow. They already received bad press for their lack of support for a large number of formats (PDF for example), if they remove this service it'll be even worse. They could potentially identify copyrighted materials, but they would need a lot of extra ressources and a very good database. Not sure that they could do this.
A good database wouldn't help them identify blogs/RSS feeds (which are copyrighted unless the author puts it in the public domain). No reasonable way to keep it up to date.

Doesn't matter how much bad press they get, if having the service results in multi-million dollar lawsuits, it will go away, bad press or no [and if they tried to fight it too much and looked to be losing, then shareholders might sue]. If this happens, the bad guy isn't Amazon, it's US laws and legal system. I hope this doesn't happen.

Since free conversion software already exists, I'm not sure it would make sense for Amazon to make yet another version -- they may just be using the existing free software as it is.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote