View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
cecirdr
cecirdr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Agnum View Post

I first looked into the iPad for to fulfill this want. It seemed perfect: large screen, decent battery life, internet, PDF viewers, etc. I was actually very excited about the prospect of getting one. I had to try it extensively in stores, however, before I would make my final decision. So into the stores I went, and out I came disappointed. I really wish I could have loved the iPad, but I didn't, at least for what I was doing. The screen just didn't do it for me. It was great for browsing the web or Facebook or the occasional game, but reading, whether it was iBooks or PDfs, just did not cut it for me.

It's difficult for me to explain why, but I couldn't get into whatever I was reading. Maybe it was the backlight, maybe it was the resolution or maybe it was the glare. Oh, the glare, the worst part of it. I thought "Well, the store lighting is pretty glare-inducing, so maybe it will be better in my usual reading environments." Then I realized that one of my usual reading places is at work, which has much the same type of lighting.
Exactly! I *wanted* to want the ipad, but it just didn't work for me. I'm getting ready to start grad school and will be reading a bunch of pdfs. So I thought an ipad would be perfect. But it's heavier and blared light into my eyes (I sit at a computer all day at work so I don't want *more* backlit documents thankyouverymuch). I just wanted to comfortably be able to read *a lot* of material. And the kindleDXG does that.

I may put some pdfs on there manually (via cable), but I may also just email some to my kindle straight from a reference search. Since I have a laptop for writing and I'll use it for annotating any pdfs that I want to make notes on...the kindle is simply for power-reading. Plain and simple, reading for pleasure and high volume reading. I have my laptop for applications, games, and writing papers.
cecirdr is offline   Reply With Quote