View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #25
Peripathetic
Enthusiast
Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
I've just got myself a Tolino Shine 3. It's not really a Kobo Clara HD "clone" as both devices are exactly the same original design by Netronix and apparently share all the hardware except the SoC.

In particular, the system board part # on the Tolino (37NB-E60K00+4A4) is identical to what's on the Kobo, according to screenshots on the Internet. On the other hand, the SoC part # on the Tolino is MCIMX6L8DVN10AB (NXP Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite). I could not find any Clara screenshots where the SoC part # would be legible but it's reported to be MCIMX6V7DVN10AB (SLL) elsewhere.

Before I got the Tolino I was toying with the idea of eventually replacing its AOSP-based firmware with Linux from the Kobo but it seems it wouldn't be as straightforward as I assumed due to the SoC part differences I was unaware of. Fortunately, the AOSP performance on the Tolino seems just fine, so it's not really necessary to replace it, especially as it would have also meant giving up the ability to sideload Android APKs.
Peripathetic is offline   Reply With Quote