View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
there is nothing I wouldn't give go to with the right incentives
On my windows laptop I have a virtual machine with Ubuntu: could I use that?
Yes, that would be fine. You need to copy the firmware update into Ubuntu (shared storage works well). There is a file on the net called pbfwsplit.pl that is used to pull the pieces out of the firmware. Let me know if you can't find it. Once you copy it to the same place as the firmware, you'd do something like the following:

Code:
mkdir tmp
cd tmp
unzip ../sw_20111215_902_CIS_2.1.2_user.zip
../pbfwsplit.pl SWUPDATE.BIN
sudo mount app.img /mnt
sudo mount /mnt/cramfs.img /media
Within the 902 firmware, /media/bin/browser.app is a shell script that calls bookland.app. It's probably different within the 912 firmware. Whatever it calls, copy that file from /media/bin and move it to your other device.

Look around the /mnt and /media directories to see if there is anything else that looks important and would need to be copied over. When you're finished with those, you can unmount them in reverse order with the commands:

Code:
sudo umount /media
sudo umount /mnt
It's then safe to delete the files that were unpacked into the tmp directory.

It's possible that the browser may need libraries that are missing on the 360+. So, it would be best to start it within a script first and save the output to file. For example, the script could look like this if the program is called bookland.app and was copied to /mnt/ext1/applications:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/mnt/ext1/applications/bookland.app 1> /mnt/ext2/out.txt 2> /mnt/ext2/out.txt
Then you could open out.txt and read what stuff was output when the program was run.

Happy hacking.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote