View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #43
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I made an account at bookfusion.zendesk.com, which is... apparently the business/publisher side of things?

Took me a while to figure out that an account at the zendesk side does not translate into the reader side; you can't just use one login for all of BookFusion. Also, to make an account at the reader side, it wants my birthday.

Are there age-restricted libraries? It can't be for COPPA reasons; the zendesk-side account didn't need an age statement, not even "I verify that I am old enough to hand you my data."

I can't find a terms of service document on the business side. On the reader side, I found:
Quote:
User shall not post or transmit through BookFusion any material which violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others, which is unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, vulgar, obscene, profane or otherwise objectionable, which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any law, or which, without BookFusion's express prior approval, contains advertising or any solicitation with respect to products or services.
Does this apply to the contents of uploaded books? If so:
  • Does BookFusion believe fanfiction is copyright infringement?
  • What are its standards for "vulgar,... profane or otherwise objectionable," since those terms have no legal definitions? (Can one use it for erotica ebooks?)
  • Can publishers of ebooks include ads for their other works, or for their website, without asking for permission?

I also saw this (emphasis added):
Quote:
By submitting material to any public area of BookFusion, User automatically grants, or warrants that the owner of such material has expressly granted BookFusion the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate and distribute such material (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or hereafter developed for the full term of any copyright that may exist in such material.User hereby grants BookFusion the right to edit, copy, publish and distribute any material made available on BookFusion by User.
Why would any publisher allow this? "Once you upload your book here, we can edit and republish it any way we want?"

Or is that not talking about book submissions, but discussions in forums or blogs? (Are there social aspects to this?) (Hell, why would people on forums allow it - "we can take your discussions, edit them any way we want, and sell them?")
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote