View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Recovering from a freeze (Updated files with the same name)

Just recovered from a consistent freeze which I thought was due to bad HTML code in a book but actually turned out to be something else, so I thought I'd pass what happened in case this can benefit someone else.

Using a home-made book, made from a given HTML, converted in Calibre, updated in Sigil, and then hand-edited.

After copying the latest version of the book over to my PRS-300, it was consistently hard-freezing the device at the same page. (Just happened to be about 20 pages down from the current position). My assumption was that something was wrong with the book.

NOPE!

Problem was the bookmarks -- since the file had the same name as before, all existing bookmarks applied, but apparently the book had changed enough that this caused problems. Note, however, the bookmark wasn't pointing to the specific page that was triggering the freeze (though I suspect the freezing page was the start of the flow containing the bookmarked location).

Solution: use options, delete all bookmarks for the book. Then no freeze.

I'm going to start doing this by default whenever I update a book!!
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote