View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As far as I know none of the automated features that you ask for currently exist. If may well be worth raising a ticket for enhancement requests via the calibre site to keep these ideas visible.

A point to note is that you have no control over the actual names of files as stored within the Calibre library. It is best to think of these files as part of Calibre's database where it controls the filenames and applies arbitary naming rules. Indeed I believe that in an earlier release these files were actually stored within a database - but that got a bit large and unwieldy so now the file system is used as part of the database. Therefore it is quite likely that you may wish to also have a set of ebooks stored externally to calibre where you have complete control over how they are named and organised.

I must admit I would like the ability to specify import filename masks for extracting meta-data from the filename along the lines you mentioned. Linked to that would be the ability to have output filename masks so that one can control the format of the filename for files that are exported from the calibre library. One issue that would need careful thought - what if the metadata items via a filename mask conflicted with those actually held within the file as existing metadata - which takes precedence? My gut feeling would be that in such a case items from the filename mask take precedence as in many cases what is actually already present in the file is wrong.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote