View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It did not.
those are the original images (and names)
They probably just fit together without a seam in the PDF
@ctipi

I agree with theducks. The image slices are almost certainly in the original PDF, and they are laid out such that there are no gaps between the slices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But further research (sliced images in PDF's) indicates that this is/was an issue with InDesign CS3 and PS.
I saw these references in a search for "sliced images in PDF's". InDesign is a desktop publishing tool used to layout things like glossy magazines and trade brochures. It seems that 'image slicing' is a commonly used technique, essentially an alternative to using a progressive jpeg - which is where I 'came in' on this thread.

So the real question is:-

How to convert a PDF that contains sliced images to an EPUB that preserves the no gap layout between image slices as used in the original PDF?

I've given up trying to find a one size fits all PDF->EPUB conversion. As previously indicated I've found that two steps are often better than one step, and not always the same 2 steps. If you refer back to post #15 you'll see that jackie-w uses a 3 step process.

I've also found that I'll inevitably have to do some editing to produce a final result - in Sigil and/or Word.

Another alternative is to try one or more of the online PDF converters such as Zamzar - not necessarily direct to EPUB, eg try PRC and convert that to EPUB via Calibre. Plus those previously mentioned - Print to PDF, Doxillion etc.

There are a several tools available for Macs that will put a sliced image back together again - search for "join sliced images on mac"

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote