View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #116
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You still miss the point. "reading in context" (e.g. call it reading a science fiction book in the context of you being a member of sf fandom) has as a part just reading. But it is not just reading. Just like having a fine dinner at a restaurant is not the same type of experience as eating microwaved dinner at home.
Is he missing the point, I wonder? You did read the article I assume? Reread it looking for this one thing: Why would possibly so many people be upset with it? It starts out really good and reasonable. How new technology made reading more available. He is by far not against new things - going from tablets (the stone kind) and scrolls to codex. Stop reading there, it can go either way - I was half expecting him to go to the now, how ereaders are a next big step. Only half expecting, because reading this thread I already knew the outcome. The remainder of the article was describing in so great detail why and how evolution should stop at the book in codex medium. For the one reason, because st augustine loved the new books soooo much - that was some 1600 years ago. And he comes back to that - no new evidence. I don't recall reading about the printing press, making books look different (a lot) - not those beautiful hand-copied books before. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of those, they are beautiful, even though I am incapable of reading the calligraphy in them at any reasonable speed. Books got easier to read over time, fonts more modern. Now ereaders let you switch the fonts, and size, let you annotate and scribble in the book without ruining the book. What is the downside? The downside is that st. augustine did not have access to an ereader. Mentioning reading to his kids and how important the book is made me laugh. Replace book with ereader or tablet (this time the electronic kind), or fairy tale written on a scroll would have had the same impact.

I am not even going into how pointing a finger makes a difference or not.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote