View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's reasonable to charge for a paper edition, since it costs a significant amount to produce/distribute one. It is not reasonable to sell someone else's freely available online content. And I regard SONY's selling classics as just as bad.

And that's the whole point, Amazon hasn't offered the choice to be able to download and convert Newsweek (or any other online news source) on my computer and then transfer it to my Kindle if I prefer that to paying for its delivery. And no I'm not implying SONY is any better.

And as for reading it online on the Kindle, you're kidding right?
- I'd be surprised if the website even rendered correctly
- I'd be even more surprised if Amazon continued to offer free wireless connectivity.
- I'd be positively astonished if any significant number of people actually use an e-ink screen to browse the web

So yes, it is the Amazon Swindle.

EDIT: And if it makes you feel better to call SONY Baloney, go right ahead. The Swindle is just so much more witty. :-P

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-13-2008 at 07:12 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote