View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
puzzled by white space above chapter number

on Kindle 3 - after cleaning & converting chapters - I sometimes get what seems to be a blank line above the chapter number i.e. pagebreak, then blank line, then chapter number.. in other books the chapter number is right at the top of the page as I prefer it.

looking at epub code, I am struggling to nail this. I look at what calibre tag goes with the chapter number then I look in the style sheet for its definition.

it seems that the ones with the extra white space are simply defined as "block" in the stylesheet - nothing else. the one that I like better have a more specific style definition.

- so it this a side effect of "block" or a kindle-specific interpretation issue ? I suspect the latter because I do not see any extra space when viewed in calibre viewer, yet I do see it on both K3 and in kindle for PC

sample code which has the whitespace issue
Code:
</head>

<body class="calibre" link="blue" style="" vlink="purple">
  <div class="calibre4" id="calibre_pb_6"></div>

<h2 id="heading_id_3"><a class="calibre7" id="_Toc85056267"><span>1</span></a></h2>
styles:
..calibre3 {
font-size: 0.75em
}
.calibre4 {
display: block;
page-break-before: always
}
.calibre5 {
color: blue;
cursor: pointer;
text-decoration: underline
}
.calibre6 {
display: block;
font-size: 2em;
font-weight: bold;
margin-bottom: 0.67em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0.67em;
page-break-before: always;
text-align: center
}
.calibre7 {
color: inherit;
cursor: inherit;
text-decoration: inherit

so calibre 4 followed by 7 is treated as "block"

is there a workaround. i.e. how can I alter these chapter heading styles/tags so that they appear right at the top of the page ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote