View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Hard Science Fiction Recommendations

So far, since getting into reading fiction, and not just how-to/reference-type books, I've mostly been reading Star Trek. I'm also about to finish the Oort Perimeter by MR's own Steven Lake. Although Oort has some aspects I like, I've decided, in short, it's just not for me. Oh, I'll still finish the last two chapters and the epilogue, but I won't be reading the sequels. Nothing personal, Steve; again, it's just not for me.

That said, I would like to broaden my science fiction horizons into more hard science fiction. I understand that the degree of hardness of hard vs soft science fiction varies along a scale (a scale that can differ in ways from individual to individual); however, I don't care where on that scale it falls, just as long as it's more on the "hard" side and less on the "soft" side.

I mostly would like exploration and scientific discovery, with an air of mystery--not a whodunit, but more like "What is it?", "Where are we?", "What's going on?". Also, this mystery should be a mystery to both the characters and the reader. It could also be a series of mysteries, where, as in real science, one answer leads to a whole lot more questions.

Although I don't care for Star Wars-like, grand conflicts, or anything close to it, I wouldn't mind at least some conflict--just not on a grand scale that takes up half the book. I especially don't care for the old meme of "Humans meet aliens; 'It's either we annihilate them, or they annihilate us!' ". All that said, however, I wouldn't mind at all if internal conflict played a major role, whether internal to one individual, or the whole human race, etc. Just as long as it's more of a discussion or argument, as opposed to civil war.

I'm pretty much divided on whether I want a standalone novel, or a series, so either would be acceptable. Also, especially if it's a series, character development would be a great plus.

As I'm not familiar with very many authors, titles, or series, a brief synopsis of your suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

If I think of any other preferences, I'll tell you about them as I think of them.

So, any ideas?

Last edited by tmclough; 08-12-2010 at 12:03 AM.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote